Ingolstadt/Nürburg, Germany – Thanks to a clever strategy from Audi Sport Team Phoenix and keeping a cool head Audi driver Mike Rockenfeller was able to extend his lead in the overall standings in the 2014 DTM championship to 35 points at the Nürburgring.
84,000 spectators (throughout the weekend) experienced the most thrilling and spectacular DTM race of the year to date in which rain set in during the formation lap. Following a turbulent starting lap with numerous slips, spins and contacts, the safety car was deployed – and at that point in time Mike Rockenfeller in the Schaeffler Audi RS 5 DTM was running at the end of the field after having to evade a rival in turn one.
Audi Sport Team Phoenix based in Meuspath in immediate proximity to the Nürburgring opted for a risky strategy that in the end fully paid off. The team called Rockenfeller to the pits for switching to rain tires while the safety car was still deployed. On optimal tires, ‘Rocky’ managed to battle his way forward from 20th place to the front of the field within just five laps and to commandingly achieve an advantage of nearly half a minute. Despite having to make an additional pit stop on account of the strategy, it was ultimately enough for him to take fourth place and another twelve points on a drying track. These points are particularly valuable as his so far fiercest immediate rivals, Bruno Spengler (BMW) and Gary Paffett (Mercedes-Benz, did not finish in the points.
“Today, I’ve got to express a special ‘thank you’ to my guys: This fourth place can be fully credited to Team Phoenix,” said the leader of the standings after the spectacular race. “Joey (Hand) almost ruined it for us in turn one but the team kept cool and did everything right. I want to thank the team for that!”
- Preview: DTM heads to the Nurburgring (sundayafternoonclub.blogs.topgear.com)
- DTM Nürburgring 2013 Preview (f1head.wordpress.com)
- Russian president Vladimir Putin causes unexpected disruption to Andy Priaulx’s DTM challenge (metro.co.uk)
- Speed Centre: All the weekend results (plus comments) (thestar.blogs.com)
- Rally Star Ogier in Audi Rs 5 Dtm (globalmotorsportnews.wordpress.com)
- Wicky Bobby takes first ever win in a cracker at a wet Nurburgring (sundayafternoonclub.blogs.topgear.com)
- DTM: Rockenfeller takes bizarre pole (jasonscarblog.wordpress.com)
- Race report: Moscow DTM (sundayafternoonclub.blogs.topgear.com)
- Dtm Classic on ‘Rocky’s’ Home Track (globalmotorsportnews.wordpress.com)
- Column: Why i’m starting to dislike the DTM (f1head.wordpress.com)