Football fans in Great Britain are increasingly using mobile devices to access video content, sports news websites and betting services, according to data revealed by Goal, the football media brand owned by digital sports group Perform.
Goal’s data – taken from the Global Sports Media Consumption Report 2013, which was produced by Perform in conjunction with research company Kantar Media Sport and TV Sports Markets – showed that 27 per cent of fans in Great Britain follow the sport on a mobile device and that of those who attend live matches, 39 per cent of them use a mobile in the build up to, during or after a game.
Twenty-three per cent of fans who use a mobile on match days place a bet via a website or app, while 47 per cent of online football fans watch live streaming of games and events.
Fifteen per cent watch football content via mobile devices, while 21 per cent read football content via mobile platforms.
Fans now spend an average of two hours per week watching sport content via an internet-enabled mobile device, and 1.6 hours per week reading sport-related content on a smartphone or tablet.
To access a full infographic, visit www.knowthefan.com/eng/infographics/
The announcement of Goal’s findings coincided with the launch of Goal’s new Live Scores mobile app, which will be available on iOS and Android platforms and is expected to be rolled out soon across Windows, Mozilla and Blackberry platforms.
The @GoalFlash Twitter feed, which will update scores across Europe within three seconds of a goal, is also being launched for the new season. The service will send an instant notification to a user’s mobile once a goal has been scored.
- Football fans make full use of mobile devices (tribalfootball.com)
- Adapting Your Content to Your Mobile Device (business2community.com)
- Mobile device usage facts and figures (thedroidguy.com)
- INFOGRAPHIC: The nation of mobile game junkies (mobile-ent.biz)
- Mobile Devices and the Users Growth [Infographic] (business2community.com)
- REPORT: Mobile insights for retail brands (mobile-ent.biz)
- 20 per cent of GAME’s web traffic comes from a mobile device (mobile-ent.biz)
- New Facebook Developments Confirm Massive Shift To Mobile (business2community.com)
- Mobile Marketing Thought Leader, Tracy A. Hanes Explains Why a Mobile Reactive Website is a Must for Local Businesses (ireport.cnn.com)
- New Research: Mobile Advertising Driving Purchases at Unprecedented Rate (dailyfinance.com)